Sunday, October 4, 2009

FlashForward, Episode 1.02: "White to Play" (Thoughts & Theories)






Welcome to week 2 of FlashForward analysis! 


From an aesthetic standpoint, I have to say that I love how the show is filmed in darker, muted tones. This episode reminded me of the feel of The Dark Knight (especially the Utah scenes), which is no coincidence given that FlashForward co-creator David S. Goyer wrote the story for both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, and also wrote and directed "White to Play." I hope that Goyer maintains his active role on FlashForward, that his very strong influence on this show continues to seep into its direction and overall aesthetic. 


For future reference, I will be referring to the Global Blackout as the GBO and a person's flashforward as FF. 


After only two episodes, I'm trying to wrap my head around what each main character saw in their future flashes. Bear with me as I attempt to explore the relationships...

  • Charlie Benford knows Dylan Simcoe, but not his father Lloyd
  • Dylan Simcoe knows Olivia Benford, but Olivia does not seem to know him
  • Lloyd does not recognize Olivia

Mark Benford


More than anyone, it seems as if Agent Benford is destined to live out D. Gibbons' prescient statement, "he who foresees calamity suffers them twice over."


Dr. Olivia Benford


We know that her husband Mark is not telling her that he fell off the wagon in his FF; that he was drinking heavily during his vision. My guess is that she is failing to divulge all of the details from her FF as well. 


Janis Hawk


Hawk has three circles tattooed on her forearm, and in Benford's FF he notices that one of the men who is coming after him has three stars tattooed on his forearm. Mere coincidence?





For what it's worth, Hawk is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters on FlashForward, especially because of her FF. At the Comic-Con panel earlier this summer, Christine Woods was the only unknown actor on stage, but I found her to be very charming and am happy to see that she plays such an integral role on the show.  


Demetri Noh


Obviously it does not bode well for Noh that the Sheriff in Pigeon did not have a FF and died shortly thereafter. And then there is that late-night phone call from a woman who tells him that something she read in her FF indicated that he will be murdered on 3/15/10. That she read this in an intelligence report leads me to believe that she is CIA or from some other government agency, although it is unclear which country she hails from or works in. Given that Noh is an FBI agent, he certainly has the resources and is in a better position to attempt to solve his own murder in advance. Noh's character is the key to the entire series; if you know HOW you're going to die, can you prevent it?


Dylan Simcoe


I find it very interesting that Lloyd's son is autistic, and am curious to find out if and how that affected his FF vision. 





From the little I know about autism and the research I've seen about how autistic children communicate, it seems that they are less likely to share their experiences. So of course I can't wait to see why he is asking to speak to Olivia. His social development and interaction will be quite different from other children, and so I also look forward to scenes between Dylan and Charlie for that very reason. 


Lloyd Simcoe


I know I'm not alone when I say that he is hiding something, that he does indeed recognize Olivia, and that he may be involved with the GBO. The fact that he stepped away from Olivia in her vision to take a private phone call only fuels this theory fire. I wonder if Mark and his team will ever trace Simcoe's phone if they do become suspicious of him for any reason, and if that call will be connected to the suspects they've identified thus far...


Dr. Bryce Varley


Last week I was curious about what in his FF changed him from a man on the verge of suicide into an optimistic, philosophical person? I had an epiphany upon a second viewing of this episode, and it is purely speculative...Dr. Varley is the father of Janis Hawk's unborn child. Perhaps that is why he is a changed man, why he seems to be the happiest person post-GBO than anyone else we've met. In Janis' vision, we only see her and the OB/GYN technician, but I have a feeling that when we are finally privy to Varley's FF, he will be in the room as well. Regardless of whether or not I'm on the right track, we do see him sketching a mystery woman in the hospital, so it seems his future involves a love interest. 


Stanford Wedeck, Assistant Director of the FBI


I have to say that the infusion of humor this week, at Wedeck's expense, was appreciated. Obviously this show's focus is rather dramatic, so I do enjoy the moments of necessary levity. 





Case in point - Wedeck's FF in the men's room. 


Suspect Zero & D. Gibbons


They are the only two people that we know about thus far who were awake during the GBO. We have no idea what caused the GBO, but I have to ponder how these men were immune to it; i.e. did they create and take preventative measures such as drug or other chemical injections? 


It struck me that Janis pointed out that there is a 1 in 40 chance that Suspect Zero is female. Like many others, I am hoping that they're wrong - that Suspect Zero is in fact a woman. If for no other reason, it would be an unusual twist on the typical television 'villain.' 


At first I wondered why D. Gibbons purchased that bus ticket in Pigeon. He must have intended to lure Agents Benford and Noh to the doll warehouse next door. His investigation into the cause of the GBO probably led him to the agent's names, and he rigged his secret lab to blow when they arrived, allowing for his escape. He WANTS their attention and for them to follow his trail. 


Last week I mentioned that the name D. Gibbons was more than likely homage to original Watchmen comic book artist Dave Gibbons. Taking that thought a step further, there are indeed a few themes from that graphic novel which may be applicable to FlashForward as it progresses; alternate realities/histories, investigating the unknown to avoid further global disaster, etc. And taking David S. Goyer's comic book adaptation background into consideration, you have to agree that Gibbons was specifically designated as a key name in the series. 


White Queen chess piece


The title of this episode is "White to Play," which I think signifies the beginning of a premeditated game between Suspect Zero, D. Gibbons and their team with the FBI and Benford. 





I believe that the white queen chess piece may be a very significant clue in the GBO puzzle, and that there are many possibilities as to its meaning:

  • The white queen is the most powerful of all chess pieces; it may be an indication of a female villain
  • The White Queen in Through the Looking Glass is actually a helpful ally, but one who travels rather quickly. Perhaps Benford is her pawn, and he will be chasing her down the GBO rabbit hole from here on out.  
  • There is an unusual female thief named Sandra Paris in a series of short detective stories by Edward Hoch who goes by the nickname White Queen

Of course some of these are a stretch, but the creative team behind FlashForward seems to be as pop culture savvy and well-read as those who bring us Lost, so it is not out of the realm of possibility that literary references will be interspersed throughout the series. 


Mosaic Collective


For those of you who have not already done so, I recommend perusing the active Mosaic Collective website. It is a well produced and fascinating site, and I believe that all videos are canon with regard to the series. 





In fact, I've heard that Marcie Turoff (an Intelligence Analyst with the Mosaic Collective) may appear on the show. I actually met her at Comic-Con, as she interviewed me after I recorded my personal FF video in the Mosaic booth. 


Crazy Theory of the Week


Charlie Benford was with D. Gibbons in her FF, and that is how she knows that he is a "bad man." She said she dreamt that "there are no more good days" but I have a feeling that those exact words were expressed by D. Gibbons and she is repeating what she heard during her FF. 
---


I don't know about you, but I simply cannot wait to meet Simon, Dominic Monaghan's character on FlashForward. From the very brief glimpse we got of him in a scene revealed at the Comic-Con panel, it seems that Simon has the potential to be a small-screen Joker; a jovial, mysterious menace.  


Thank you for tuning in again with me this week, and for all of your comments! I look forward to your thoughts about this episode and the next, "137 Sekunden." 


-Jo

9 comments:

maven said...

Great insights, Jo. I, too, wonder why Lloyd doesn't seem to recognize Olivia. Hopefully, as they show us more and more of their FF, pieces will fit in.

The doll warehouse was very well done...I think I was watching through my fingers!

Erin W said...

Hey Jo, great recap and analysis, thanks so much for sharing! One thought, and one recollection. The thought that came to me during this ep is that maybe Janis is expecting Demitri's baby, and that Demetri does in fact die, although I would hate that to be the case. It would be an explanation for her tears (except that I think I cried during my sonogram too, so oh well). The recollection is that Goyer did confirm during the panel that D. Gibbons's name is in fact an homage to the comic book master, but that it wasn't meant to be his actual name, etc. but rather just a tip of the hat.

Thanks again, great work as always!
(Twitter name Loster21)

Patti said...

I agree with FunintheSwan... Janis is expecting Dimitri's baby. Those were not happy tears she was shedding during the sonogram, suggesting that the father is dead. Dimitri was told he'd be murdered on March 15...about six weeks prior to the events seen in the GBO. Still a pretty raw wound for an expectant mother.

I remember thinking during that scene where Janis and Dimitri were talking at her desk that it seemed the two were getting rather close, sharing with each other, and they were being set up as each others' love interest. Judging from how pregnant she was in her FF, it won't be long before the two of them get to know each other a lot better!

Oh...and the friendship bracelet that Mark Benford burned: it wasn't the same one seen in his FF. I noticed it right away. The colours are slightly different and the material it's made of isn't the same. He's going to get another one.

White Rabbit said...

I don't trust Lloyd Simcoe one bit, there is just something off about him. Why *wouldn't* he recognize Olivia from his flash forward?

Mark my words. He's super dodgy.

And yes, I think Benford will have a new bracelet as well, they are trying to make us think that the future can be changed but I stand by Faraday's logic: whatever will happen, will happen!!

I love the device they use of showing how the corkboard is slowly filling up as time passes and we get a little bit closer to April 29 in every episode, very ominous...

White Rabbit said...

I had another thought. I kind of like the idea of Janis and Demetri making a baby, but I think her baby might actually be Mark Benford's. If he cheats on Olivia first, with Janis, then this clears the way for her to have an affair with Lloyd because "he did it first." Right?

Shaggysteve said...

Great analysis as always Jo. I was one of those last week that believed Dimitri may be a sleeper agent with Suspect Zero, but know I'm not so sure. I'm also in the camp that says Dimitri is the father of Janice's baby, not Bryce. All in all, the character's lives are certainly entwined with the mystery and each other, which makes for some good television. I'm very interested to see where it all leads.

Unknown said...

Good Job Jo,

I think Llyod Simcoe was the man at the stadium. I like you think he knows more than he is letting on. Also I think he is lying about his wife dying during the GBO. Jut my theory. One think I do know is I am hooked. Not since Lost have I felt this way about a show.

Juancarlos said...

I noticed the same thing with Janis and the tattoos. I don't think it can be merely coincidence, especially with how blatantly they were included in the scene.

The lady that called Noh (I think she was previously in 24, Season Four) was in Hong Kong, if I'm not mistaken. Don't know what that does for knowing more about who she is, but it might help.

So if Charlie knows Dylan, and Dylan knows Olivia, but Lloyd doesn't know Olivia, it would stand to reason that Charlie and Dylan were together in their FF and that maybe Charlie was talking about her mom or maybe had a picture with her. It will definitely be interesting to see Dylan's FF.

I like the aforementioned theory about Janis' baby being Demetri's, considering their chemistry at the end of the episode. That was not just casual co-worker talk.

Last but not least, I died laughing during Stanford's discussing of his FF and what happened after he awoke from the GBO.

Anxiously awaiting my copy of Flash Forward, Jo. Until next week!

Scoutpost said...

Great write up Jo!
re:Christine Woods- I agree! She has turned out to be one of my favorite characters and is doing a bang up job at her part. I also thought of the connection between her tattoo and the 3 star tattoo...hmmm.

re:Demetri Noh- I think he will be key, just as the character in the book who didn't have a FF was key. Pondering all the possibilities of whether the future can changed and whether or not the characters are bringing about their futures by trying to avoid them gets my head spinning.

re:Dylan Simcoe- good question about his FF. My son has autism. I would say in real life, it might depend where on the spectrum the child was as to how accurate an account you would get...but we'll see how the writers tackle this. On another note, I soooo love Jack Davenport, so I can't help but love Lloyd, and when they made him the father of a son with autism...well I'm hopeless now! LOL

I want to know who the heck Bryce was sketching. You're the 2nd person I've heard theorize that Bryce is the father of Janis' baby! cool.

Wedeck's FF- totally cracked me up. Courtney P. Vance is a good sport!

I like the possible connection you make with the White Queen in Through the Looking Glass. It would be very cool if there was a woman villian behind it all.

Question: When Charlie was waiting outside the principal's office while Mark and Olivia were talking to the principal, there was a mysterious man in the background of the shot. It was just a silhouette and they focused on him for just a second before cutting to Charlie in the foreground. Anyone know or have guesses as to who this was?

Sorry for such a long comment. Thanks for the analysis!