Tuesday, November 3, 2009

FlashForward, Episode 1.06: "Scary Monsters & Super Creeps"




Apologies for the delay. Let's jump right in.


As a reminder, I use FF to indicate a flashforward and GBO when referring to the Global Blackout.


Captain Kangaroo


So far, the kangaroo has appeared twice on FlashForward, and both times were in front of Mark Benford. I feel as if it is a hint and plays a major role; perhaps it will serve as the final clue on or to Mark's Mosaic bulletin board.


I Want to Hold Your (Blue) Hand


It seems to me that someone retaliated against the Blue Hand assassins rather quickly for their simultaneous attacks on the FBI teams in LA and DC. It was striking that the Blue Hand victims were lined up and covered, rather than left where they were murdered. 





If I had to guess, the people responsible for executing the Blue Hands are investigating the GBO themselves; thus, they are taking matters into their own hands. Remember, the mystery man who escaped in Utah was trying to hack into Mosaic, and Noh believed that he was looking into the cause of the GBO. 

They're Blinding Me with Science

I am not in the least bit familiar with any of the scientific notions introduced by Simon, so here are a few links if you're interested:




Of course as a Lost fan, I am intrigued by Simon's statement that "both eventualities occur at the same time," given how Season 5 ended and the possibility of an alternate reality reveal in Season 6. I am also reminded of the mysterious Pigeon, UT man on FlashForward (White to Play, episode 2) who said that "he who foresees calamity suffers it TWICE over."

You Are Not Alone



Their "experiment killed 20 million people." Simon and Simcoe were not working alone. I wonder if we'll find out whether Suspect Zero was working with them. We already know that Gibbons was; he and Simcoe were both on the phone during the GBO (chances are that Gibbons sent that text to Simcoe at the beginning of his FF), and that little Charlie Benford knew that Gibbons was a bad man. She was living with Simcoe at the time...

Olivia Benford

Apparently, the B-Lynch procedure that Olivia performed on Janis is rare and usually necessary only AFTER a baby is born. There are various medical journal reports that discuss it online, but the best place to start if you'd like to research it is the official website of the very doctor that invented this suture (Christopher B-Lynch). 



Sidenote: FlashFoward must have a medical consultant on staff. Addison's Disease and now this? They are certainly utilizing realistic conditions and diseases. 

I don't recall whether or not Olivia knew about Janis' FF vision of pregnancy six months down the line, but I'm assuming she did based upon her decision to use the B-Lynch.

One of my favorite scenes in FlashForward thus far has to be the tense, awkward moment when Olivia comes home to find her husband Mark in the same room with her future lover Lloyd.

Al Gough

Right now he is listed in the credits as a guest star, but I'm hoping that Lee Thompson Young is made a series regular sooner than later. That they just uncovered the man who's case he is investigating six months from now (Rutherford) is an indication that he will be alive and potentially integral. Al's FF places him in London with a Scotland Yard investigator, played by Alex Kingston (ER), so I hope they take us down this particular rabbit hole. 

Janis Hawk

It will be very interesting to see what path Janis takes from here. The trauma and risky surgery to save her uterus do not seem likely to heal in a short period of time, and yet the clock is ticking as they inch closer to 4/29/10. I'm not sure how it will be physically possible for Janis to be pregnant and healthy mere months from this point, or exactly how she winds up with child...but I eagerly await that development. 

Demetri Noh



Even though he and Al were investigating Janis' attack on their own, it surprised me that they did not call the DC morgue immediately after discovering the Blue Hand stamp on the deceased gunman in the LA morgue to check for the same.  

Dylan Simcoe

Am I crazy, or would two adults who only began dating recently feel comfortable walking around shirtless (Lloyd) and in lingerie (Olivia) with two small children awake in the house? Something does not add up, and I look forward to finding out who's FF is misleading. And I wonder if Dylan's autism affected his FF in a way that no one else experienced. 

Lloyd Simcoe

Lloyd is very uncomfortable with his role in the GBO, and I believe that he did not know about or intend for it to happen. If he knew in advance that there was a risk of danger or death, he would have arranged for the security of his son Dylan.

Simon

When Simon was describing his FF to the woman on the train, I think he was simply describing a day in his life. I have a strong suspicion that he was actually awake during the GBO, and that we will find out exactly where he was and what he was doing before the end of the first season.

By the way, although I initially thought that the woman on the train would be killed after Simon's confession, I realized that she had a FF. Of course at this point, it is not clear whether or not all FF's are real/true, or if what people saw took truly took place six months from the time of the GBO. 

Marcie Turoff



For the second week in a row, Agent Turoff is the ONLY character to wear a shade of red. Either she is an obvious Red Shirt casualty in waiting, or some type of red herring...
---
Enjoy this week's new episode, which I hear is going to be stellar! I will be back next week with analysis. Thank you for reading along - please feel free to leave comments and share your thoughts every week. 

2 comments:

arbitrary said...

Did Janis say she was 6 weeks pregnant? I seem to remember that as a timing factor, which gives the impregnation date around 18th March, or... around 15th March when Noh's apparent death is supposed to happen (I think it'll be a fake report of his death, and that there's another explanation for no FF).

Loved this ep, the show is back on track for me, despite British baddies! Now wondering why Charlie had such a bleak FF when we saw part of it with Dylan in the house, taking cookies! And how she knew D Gibbons, and thought to even mention him at that point.

And unless Lloyd and Olivia get together very soon indeed, I also find it a bit cosy to have moved in!

Erin said...

Great recap. This was my favorite episode so far. I thought all the Halloween stuff was great, and I loved the interaction between Dylan and Charlie. Lots of moments made me laugh, and as you said, that scene with Olivia, Mark and Lloyd was deliciously awkward. Especially when Mark put it all together. And good point about the weirdness of the FF scene with the two kids running around.

Simon's first big scene cracked me up, since it seemed like he was going to explain the blackout but instead he was delivering a really geeky pickup line. His character isn't without appeal, though he seems a lot darker than Charlie...